A book is not just a book.
Award time again

Another figure of speech

HAPPY NEW YEAR to my fellow book worms! You know how I enjoy the English Language, well I found a figure of speech that I had not heard of;  HOMONYMN- what is it?
A Homonymn is a word that has two completely different meanings. Here are a few examples to give you an idea:

Tire:        a rubber wheel           to become exhausted

Fire:         smoke and flames       to lose one's job

Lead:        to show the way          a heavy metal

Bear:         an animal                    to carry a burden

Tear:         eye fluid                    to rip apart

Fine:          not coarse                  a monetary penalty

File :         to arrange alphabetically        a tool to smoothen a surface

I often sit reading through my Thesaurus. What a wonderful tool, there is so much information in there, not only can you expand your vocabulary, learn the meaning of words, find alternate words for a particular word, you can also learn about figures of speech. The Engish language is complex! A dictionary doesn't always give you the information that you need.

Thesaurus is latin for "treasure house".

7 Comments to Another figure of speech:

www.resumeplanets.org on Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:45 PM
There are so many books which we can read. Some books are very interesting and we can enhance our knowledge by reading books. We improve our learning skills by reading different books. We come to know about so many things from different books.

www.luxuryrex.org.uk/ on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:39 AM
will be able to get you your special Rolex watch

annonymous on Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:11 AM
good

website design service on Friday, June 29, 2018 5:26 AM
Get online fast with our professional web design service. From simple to complex, our website design team will create, host, and update the site for you.

loegmrntdherid1 on Monday, November 19, 2018 2:45 AM
Interesting topic what you have shared with us. Your writing skill is really very appreciative. I love when you share your views through the best articles.Keep sharing and posting articles like these.This article has helped me a lot.Keep posting this stuff.

d on Monday, December 17, 2018 3:52 AM
d

buy dissertation online on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:25 PM
I am so glad to read your views about wishing and interesting speech because Sometimes, people use a colloquial phrase of "it figures" or "go figure", which is kind of an acknowledgement of the correctness of a fact, or something like that. It's also sometimes abbreviated even further to just "Figures" or "Go fig", depending on the speaker